2 sticks butter
1/2 cup Crisco
2 3/4 cups sugar
3 1/3 cups plain flour ( I use White Lily.)
5 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon flavoring of your choice (vanilla, almond, coconut, lemon, rum, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Cream the butter, Crisco and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Don’t beat the eggs too long, just incorporate them.
- Add the flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour.
- Add flavoring
- Pour batter into a greased tube pan or two greased loaf pans.
- Bake for one hour and 15 minutes in the tube pan. If baking in loaf pans, check the doneness after an hour.
To make the Christmas Eggnog Cake, substitute 1 cup of eggnog for the milk. I use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of rum flavoring and a teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg.
For the glaze, stir together 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of eggnog and drizzle on top of cooled cake. This is optional, but I grate a sprinkling of fresh nutmeg on top of the glaze.